Fortazim belongs to a group of medicines called cephalosporins. Fortazim is used to treat a wide range of infections caused by bacteria. These infections may affect the chest (bronchitis or pneumonia), ears, nose, throat, bladder and urinary tract, skin and soft tissue, stomach or bones.
Fortazim is the generic version of FORTUM INJ by GSK. It contains Ceftazidime.
Fortazim is indicated for the treatment of the infections listed below in adults and children including neonates (from birth).
• Nosocomial pneumonia
• Broncho-pulmonary infections in cystic fibrosis
• Bacterial meningitis
• Chronic suppurative otitis media
• Malignant otitis externa
• Complicated urinary tract infections
• Complicated skin and soft tissue infections
• Complicated intra-abdominal infections
• Bone and joint infections
• Peritonitis associated with dialysis in patient on CAPD.
Treatment of patients with bacteraemia that occurs in association with, or is suspected to be associated with, any of the infections listed above.
Ceftazidime may be used in the management of neutropenic patients with fever that is suspected to be due to a bacterial infection.
Ceftazidime may be used in the peri-operative prophylaxis of urinary tract infections for patients undergoing transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP).