Before taking this medicine
You should not use Diovan if you are allergic to valsartan.
To make sure Diovan is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
• kidney disease (or if you are on dialysis);
• liver disease;
• a heart condition, other than one being treated with valsartan;
• if you are on a low-salt-diet;
• if you are dehydrated; or
• if you have ever had a severe allergic reaction to any blood pressure medication.
Diovan dosing information
Usual Adult Dose for Congestive Heart Failure:
Initial dose: 40 mg orally twice a day.
Maintenance dose: 80 to 160 mg twice daily. The dose should be increased to the highest dose tolerated by the patient.
Usual Adult Dose for Hypertension:
Initial dose: 80 to 160 mg orally once a day.
Maintenance dose: 80 to 320 mg orally once a day.